Antioxidant Purple Berry Elixir
This recipe is delicious and easily passed the taste test of my two little boys. By cooking it longer, you can reduce it even more and end up with a thick paste.
- 2 cups fresh elderberries, or 1 cup dried elderberries
- 1 cup blueberries or huckleberries
- 2 tablespoons water (if using dried elderberries, use 1 cup water)
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 2 tablespoons raw honey (Caution: Do not use honey for children under 1 year of age. Rice syrup or maple syrup may be substituted.)
Simmer berries, water, ginger, cinnamon and cloves on the stove until the berries have softened and the skins have opened (about 2 hours). Strain the mixture through a strainer, making sure to get all of the pulp (it should be kind of thick). Mix in 2 tablespoons of honey and stir well. Store in the refrigerator.
How to Use it:
- For adults, 1 tablespoon a day of this delectable treat will give you a powerful does of antioxidants as well as being a useful antiviral-a wonderful combination for the coming winter!
- For children, use 1 teaspoon a day.
© Elaine Sheff, Clinical Herbalist